Skip to Main Content

Procurement Card (PCard) Quick Reference Guide

The Procurement Card (PCard) simplifies the purchasing of most routine, low-value goods and services orders where the vendor does not accept purchase orders. The topics below provide basic guidelines and helpful information about the card.



Need more information?


Those who are authorized to use the PCard agree to comply with these practices:

  • Keep your card safe and secure.
  • Obtain documentation on every purchase.
  • Know University policies and procedures regarding departmental purchasing authority.
  • Know policies regarding the application of the California Use Tax.

See PCard User Responsibilities. 

Types of

You can use your PCard for most low value goods and select services, including but not limited to:

  • Professional memberships
  • Job postings
  • Advertisements
  • Books
  • Minor electrical supplies
  • Non-inventorial equipment (defined as equipment valued at less than $5,000)

See PCard Overview and Common PCard Purchases & Restrictions.


Inventorial equipment cannot be purchased with the PCard. At UCLA, inventorial equipment refers to items that:

  • Are non-expendable.
  • Stand alone.
  • Have a normal useful life of one year or more.
  • Qualify as tangible personal property (can be appraised for value) with an acquisition cost of $5,000 or more.

For details, see What Is Inventorial Equipment? 

If you need to purchase equipment, contact a Campus Purchasing buyer for assistance. See the Commodity Directory for a specific buyer.

See Equipment Management.


The following goods and services cannot be charged to a PCard:

  • DSL or other Internet connection charges or services (these charges should be paid by the employee and reimbursed, if appropriate).
  • Cash advances.
  • Internet or online payment mechanisms that do not identify the ultimate payee.
  • Inventorial equipment (valued at $5,000 or more).
  • Firearms, ammunition, explosives, radioactive or other hazardous materials.
  • Ethyl alcohol (except denatured), narcotics, dangerous drugs or other controlled substances.
  • Precious metals.
  • Items of personal or ornamental use.
  • Travel or entertainment (meals, airfare, hotel, car rental, catering, meeting refreshments, gifts).
  • Vehicle/gasoline, diesel fuel, or real estate rentals/leases.
  • Goods or services from an employee or near relative of an employee of the University.
  • On-site construction.
  • Consulting or contract employee services (these require a specific UCLA contract).
  • Medical or insurance services.
  • Services, repairs or maintenance in which the merchant performs the services on premise or for which there is an established Strategic Sourcing Agreement or catalog in BruinBuy.
  • Any other purchase for which a supplier requires a contract to be signed.
  • Other items specified in University policy, BUS-43 and APPM 740 and 740.1.

See Common PCard Purchases and Restrictions for a more detailed list and alternative payment methods.

State & federal grants

The PCard cannot be used to purchase goods and services that are not otherwise allowable under the terms of your fund, including state and federal contracts and grants.

See your CAO/CFO or fund manager for questions about departmental funds.


Cardholders are responsible for following up with a vendor regarding any erroneous charges, disputed items or missing credits on their statements.

Any disputed items must be reported to U.S. Bank immediately. The cardholder is responsible for these charges until the bank can identify these charges as fraudulent or unidentifiable. If you fail to call U.S. Bank Customer Service at (800) 344-5696 within 60 days of the date of the questionable transaction, the University may not be able to receive credit for the transaction.

See How to File a PCard Dispute.

Refunds & Credits

Supporting documentation must be attached to the associated refund/credit when reconciling the transaction in Concur.

See How to Exchange or Return Pcard Purchases.

Lost or stolen cards

Immediately report your lost or stolen card to U.S. Bank. Contact your department PCard supervisor/approver and UCLA PCard administrator.

    See How to Report a Lost or Stolen PCard.

    Making a purchase

    You can use your Procurement Card to purchase low-dollar supplies in person, by phone, fax, mail or through a secure website.

    See How to Make a Purchase With a PCard.

    Declined cards

    A card may be declined if the vendor does not have the correct billing address. Be sure to provide your campus or office address exactly as it appears on the insert sleeve in which your card arrives.

    Your card may also be declined if the:

    • Purchase amount exceeds one of your account limits.
    • Supplier is categorized with a restricted MCC.
    • Card is inactive.
    • Account number is transposed during the sales transaction.

    If you need assistance with a declined card, contact your department PCard supervisor/approver, the UCLA PCard administrator, or U.S. Bank Customer Service at (800) 344-5696.


    Shipping purchases

    If your purchase is being shipped to the Receiving Department, request that the vendor use this shipping address:

    University of California Los Angeles
    Attn: <Cardholder Name/Department>
    650 Charles E. Young Drive South
    Los Angeles, CA 90095-1764

    See How to Make a Purchase With a PCard.